Thursday, January 7, 2010

Musical note

Every once in a while, a piece of music sneaks up and surprises me.

Today I was running a bit later than usual to work, so I got to hear a segment on the local classical music station called Keith's Classical Corner.  (Keith in this case is Keith Lockhart, the current conductor of the Boston Pops.)

Today's featured composer was Pablo de Sarasate, who was also a violin virtuoso.

His Carmen Fantasy and Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs) are his most famous works, but Keith (yes, we're on a first name basis -- isn't everyone?) selected Scottish Airs (which I can't seem to find online anywhere but which can be found on the cd Sarasate: Virtuoso Works for Violin).

The piece starts off fairly slow, and I found my mind wandering to other subjects, just sort of thinking about my day and trying to organize the chaos of my mind a bit.  After a minute, this cheery little tune was filling my car, and I found myself happily smiling along.

It's a great way to start the day, especially if you aren't quite sure how it is going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment