Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An Ode to Risotto

Okay, so I don't write odes, but the risotto I just made is definitely poetic.  Yum!

1 cup risotto
2 chopped shallots
1 chopped clove garlic
2 Tbsp salted butter
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup Savuignon Blanc
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli

Saute shallots and garlic in butter and oil for about 3 minutes -- fragrant with a little color, but not too brown.

Add risotto and cook for 2 minutes.

Add one cup of stock.  Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring somewhere between often and continuously to keep the risotto from sticking.

Add the other cup of stock.  Keep going with the cooking and stirring.

When mostly absorbed, add the broccoli and mix in well.

Add the wine, and go repeat the cooking and stirring process until most of the liquid is gone.

Turn off the heat -- but don't remove from burner -- cover and let rest for 5-10 minutes to let the broccoli cook a bit more.

I didn't add any salt or pepper because the butter and stock had salt in them, and I don't care for pepper, but you certainly could.

Goat cheese crumbles would have been a good garnish, but I didn't have any, so I ate it as is.

Yum!

I think that it would be excellent with roasted or grilled chicken.  You could use beef or chicken stock instead of vegetable.  I had notions of mixing in pesto, but in the end I didn't.  I might with the leftovers, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment