Saturday, November 12, 2011

The daily recipe

More than a third of the way through the first stage of my cookbook project is probably a bit late to come up with the idea of posting a recipe a day, but I am going to do it anyway.  And I may post more than one a day because, well, sharing is fun.

I have moved on to recipes from my mother's side of the family, and even though I have no idea who Jane might be, I thought these cookies sounded like fun.  (Remember, at the outset I am typing up recipes pretty much as they are written, so the directions might be a little ... informal and assume that the cook knows more than he or she does.  After all, if these recipes were familiar to the people I got them from, they probably didn't need a lot of detail.  Or perhaps it is simply a matter of general cooking and baking skills being more common in the days before Lean Cuisine.)


Ranger Cookies from the kitchen of Jane
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 cups cereal, such as Rice Krispies or bran
1 cup coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugars.  Add vanilla, salt and eggs.  Sift together flour, soda and baking powder and add to creamed mixture.  Add oatmeal, cereal, etc.  Mix well and form into balls.  Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees.  These cookies will be soft, but will harden later when cool.  Makes about 7 to 8 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment