Sunday, November 21, 2010

Quote of the Day

Courtesy of the inimitable Julia Child, from a letter to Avis DeVoto on January 19, 1953:

"All this chef-hostess stuff is my particular interest ... but it does take practice and experience, so the stuff is really hot, but not over-done, etc.  When we get into 'recipes for dishes,' we plan always to have 'make ahead' notes for everything, including veg.  (I also think the young hostess should be advised never to say anything about what she serves, in the way of 'Oh, I don't know how to cook, and this may be awful,' or 'poor little me,' or 'this didn't turn out' ... etc. etc.  It is so dreadful to have to reassure one's hostess the everything is delicious, whether or not it is.  I make it a rule, no mater what happens, never to say one word, thought it kills me.  Maybe the cat has fallen in the stew, or I have put the lettuce out the window and it has frozen, or the meat is not quite done ... Grits one's teeth and smile.)"

Source: Page 46 of As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, Food Friendship and the Making of a Masterpiece, edited by Joan Reardon

I have only just started but am enjoying this collection immensely, even if I am having a bit of trouble deciding if I am eavesdropping on a private conversation between these two charming women or have been granted the opportunity to be a silent participant in same.

No comments:

Post a Comment