Sunday, February 28, 2010

Everyday writing

In trying to put together or maybe even throw together a blog post or two about the last couple of books I have read, I remembered why it is important to write every day -- practice.

I do a lot of personal writing and stream of consciousness writing.  I take lots of notes as I read books, scribbling thoughts, ideas and observations down as they pop into my head.

While these activities are reasonably good writing practice because they keeps the words flowing, I don't have to worry about pesky things like coherence and sentence structure, or even proper punctuation and spelling.

I occasionally forget that in order to turn the personal writing and the notes into something more fit for public consumption, actual, serious revision needs to be involved.  Now, revision is much more of a welcome companion than it used to be, but that doesn't necessarily make it any less challenging or time consuming.

So, in the face of this reminder, posts about An Alphabetical Live and The Swan Thieves will have to wait a bit longer before they see the light of day on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment