Monday, March 9, 2009

The hazards of extensive (excessive?) connectivity

Today’s Doonesbury sums up the problem nicely, I think:

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20090309

Of course, most people probably don’t think of it as a problem.

It’s just the Luddites like me whose computer and internet usage really hasn’t changed in the last fifteen years who think it’s an issue.

YouTube, FaceBook and MySpace are not part of my daily life, and probably eighty or ninety per cent of the minutes on my cell phone plan go unused every month.

I signed up for a Twitter account yesterday, so maybe that will rock my world. After all, instant messaging programs have become a major player, and I never thought that would happen.

By contrast, however, the hermit in me appreciates being able to communicate without having to actually talk to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment